Calm and Serene

Calm and Serene
"Teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom." Psalm 90:12

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Rest

Photo by Indy Kethdy

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."
Matthew 11:28

Rest has been a recurring theme for me this week. When we think of rest we usually think of it in terms of physical rest but there's also the much needed rest for our souls. 

Over the course of summer I found myself going through an unusually difficult time. While I experienced the peace which surpasses all understanding (Philippians 4:7), there came a point during the month of August where I began to feel as if my brain had been kicked into overdrive. I couldn't wait to turn the page to September because I knew that with crisp temperatures and changing colors, there would also be change in the seasons of life as well. 

As I flipped the page on my (in)courage perpetual calendar this morning, I was struck by this passage from Angie Smith:

"I'm going to give myself permission to rest today. 
To soak in all that Jesus has set in front of me, without allowing myself to wonder
what He hasn't."

Christ never promised that there wouldn't be days without adversity; but when we acknowledge the sovereignty of God over every situation, we can find peace in the midst of any storm.

Sitting at His feet,
Valarie